Thursday, December 22, 2016

Tea Time

"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching,
for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
that the man of God may be complete, equipped
for every good work."  2 Timothy 3:17

The day before graduation I sat around a table having tea (yes, having tea) with seven other girls who just finished their first semester of seminary.  One of the girls asked if we could go around the table and reflect on what we learned this semester.  I giggled a bit and elected to go last in order to answer for my entire time and challenge these ladies for the semesters to come.  What I did not expect was to get choked up at the goodness of our Father and at the amazement of the semesters to come when these ladies would be completely transformed.    

Just before I sat down with those ladies for tea, I was sitting in graduation rehearsal and the only word I could say and think about was, "wow!"  Seems crazy but I was about to walk across a stage with a Masters degree.  If you know me, you would have never thought I was one to further my education, I would rather be in a gym with a basketball in hand.  But I serve such a powerful, merciful, gracious Father who called me out of the gym to such a bigger plan.  See, “my” plan was to always be a high school Physical Education teacher and coach basketball.  I never planned on furthering my degree, let alone going to a Seminary to do so.  But the Lord moves in mighty ways and calls us all in different directions and paths than what we expect.  So August 2013, straight out of college, I started at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary focusing on Christian Education, with the idea of going into Sports Ministry. 

So, let’s go back to that table of first semester students, and let me tell you what I learned my three and a half years at Southeastern.  I learned that no matter how you are feeling or what you are doing, the Gospel should never feel like a burden.  I have spent multiple summers serving in different cities across the States and when I get so tired and worn out, God shows up the most.  When I tend to be in a hurry, the Lord puts someone in my path that slows me down.  When we are drained and down that’s when we should call on Him the most.  Through prayer and devotion is when we become the most Christ-like and peaceful.  But most importantly, I have learned how important and how personal Christ’s love and death is for me and that the greatest call of all is to show that love to all we come in contact with.  This is what Jesus truly meant in Matthew 28, when he said, “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.  And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

During orientation Dr. Akin challenges us all to take advantage of this opportunity and to use this time wisely because when we are done, we are done and are sent out to use what we have learned in full time ministry/career.  So, as Dr. Akin now comes to a close and challenges the graduates, he asks a question that hits home.  He asks us if it is okay that he shares the Gospel in his speech tomorrow, but he then takes it a step further and asks how many of us would give up our diploma if it meant that just one person in the crowd became a believer in Christ.  Every single hand shot up.  I honestly teared up and thought to myself, “wow”, having this piece of paper means nothing when I stand in front of my Savior one day!  This is what it means to live out the Great Commission.  Before Southeastern, I did not really know what this meant.  But after being apart of a Great Commission Seminary, I leave with the thought in mind to constantly be living out the Gospel and focusing on sharing the Good News with all I come in contact with.  So whether you are in Seminary, College, High School, or whatever walk of life, do not let the Gospel be a burden but a method in which you live daily.  Be “complete, equipped, for every good work.” 



“For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.”  Philippians 1:21



1 comment:

  1. This is a great article by a fantastic person. Thanks for all you do and who you are Kayelyn

    ReplyDelete